Before coming to class, please read our Policies page
At this time, we only offer instruction for aerial silks/tissu. However, we do have apparatuses set-up for open practice on aerial hoop/lyra, and static trapeze. Please see the “Open Gym/Open Practice” section for more details.
Aerial Silks, also known as aerial tissu or aerial fabric, is a type of performance art in which one or multiple aerialists perform aerial acrobatics while suspended in the air from the fabric. Aerial silks is a great way to get a full body workout while also exercising your creativity and artistry. If you’re looking for a fun, dynamic way to get fit, give aerial silks a try and come fly with us!
Aerial Silks Level 1
No experience required for this class–ideal for silk and aerial-newbies! In this level, students will work on the basics (e.g. climbs, footlocks), simple poses, and footlocks in the air.
Aerial Silks Level 1.5
Ideal for students looking to advance to level 2. In this level, students will refine basic climbs, poses, and footlock sequences introduced in level 1. For students who have taken at least three level 1 classes at Love/Aerial within the past 2 months who are looking for specific feedback to guide their practice to help them advance to level 2.
Aerial Silks Level 2
(INSTRUCTOR APPROVAL REQUIRED) In level 2, students will work on inversions and more advanced climbs, poses, and wraps. Students will develop the tools to begin creating longer sequences and build the strength and stamina to be able to stay in the air for longer periods of time.
Pre-requisites for Level 2:
To advance to level 2, students must demonstrate competency in:
- Basic and military/Russian climb (both left and right) at least halfway up the silks (12.5 feet) with smooth descent
- Single footlock in the air on each foot
- Double footlock in the air
- Candy cane (in the air)
- Split roll-up (in the air)
- Rebecca series (in the air)
If you feel that you meet the requirements to advance to level 2, please let an instructor know after class and they will be able to test you in to level 2.
Aerial Silks Level 2.5
(INSTRUCTOR APPROVAL REQUIRED) In this class, we will focus on creating longer sequences and smoothing out transitions so that you can build the endurance to stay in the air for longer periods of time (Sequence and Endurance). We will also begin working on basic drops (Intro to Drops). We encourage Level 2.5 students to continue attending their regular Level 2 or Level 3 skills classes.
Pre-requisites for Level 2.5
To advance to Level 2.5 (Sequence and Endurance and Intro to Drops), students must demonstrate competency in:
- Basic and military/Russian climb the full length of the silks (25 feet) with smooth descent
- Proficiency in Russian flirt/big Russian climb
- Smooth single and double footlocks in the air
- Bent arm, bent knee inverts on the ground (both silks together and also with split silks)
- 1 min endurance in the air
If you feel that you meet the requirements to advance to level 2.5, please let an instructor know after class and they will be able to test you in to level 2.5.
Aerial Silks Level 3
(INSTRUCTOR APPROVAL REQUIRED) Must have a solid inversion in the air and be comfortable staying in the air for at least 2-3 minutes at a time. In level 3, students will advance to learning more complex climbs, descents, poses, and drops. Students will also work on building longer sequences in the air with a focus on refining transitions between familiar moves and understanding wrap theory.
Pre-requisites for Level 3
To advance to Level 3, students must demonstrate competency in:
- Basic AND military/Russian climb to the top of the silks (25 feet), both left and right sides for both climbs
- Big Russian/Russian flirt climb with both legs (at least halfway up the silks, 12.5 feet)
- Split silk inversion climb (aka. crochet climb/creature climb) at least always up the silks (12.5 feet)
- Solid egg beater/dancer footlocks in the air
- Comfortable inversions in the air multiple times (bent arms, bent legs ok)
- Outside knee hook into hipkey in the air (both left and right side) with minimal sliding and familiarity with a basic “hipkey to secretary” sequence
- Inside knee hook into thigh lock/hitch in the air (both left and right side) with minimal sliding and familiarity with a basic thigh lock swing seat sequence
- Invert with split silks and crochet both legs in the air
- Smooth crossback straddle/straddleback in the air
- 2-3 mins endurance in the air
If you feel that you meet the requirements to advance to level 3, please let an instructor know after class and they will be able to test you in to level 3.
Conditioning classes are all levels classes that are a great way to work on building the strength and flexibility you need to achieve your aerial goals. We will work on conditioning exercises involving the aerial apparatuses, but also equip you with conditioning tips, techniques, and exercises that you can take home to work on as well!
This is a class for any skill level and is geared towards building the strength you need to meet your aerial goals. Classes typically involve arm, leg, core, back, and grip strength conditioning.
Conditioning and Stretch
This is a class for any skill level and is geared towards building strength and flexibility to meet your aerial and fitness goals. Classes typically involve arm, leg, core, back, and grip strength conditioning, as well as flexibility training. There will be an increased focus on improving flexibility in Conditioning and Stretch classes compared to Aerial Conditioning classes.
In this class, we will focus on improving our active flexibility, with a focus on improving our center and square splits.
Open Gym/Open Practice
We currently offer “open gym/open practice” for aerial silks/tissu, aerial hoop/lyra, and static trapeze. These sessions are meant for students who have previous experience on these apparatuses to train their skills. An instructor will be present to supervise, but NO teaching will happen during these sessions.
For safety reasons, we ask that students please do not teach each other during open gym sessions or work outside their skill level.
If you are not a current student with Love/Aerial, but would like to participate in our Open Practice sessions, please e-mail us at email@example.com before you sign up.
If you are interested in a private lesson with our instructors, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.